Saturday, July 24, 2010

I Don't Like Twilight, But I Will Defend Your Right to Like it to the Death!

I don't like it when people try to make me feel bad for liking certain things. I experience this frequently, so it's a really sore point. Yes, I like: Harry Potter, Battlestar Galactica, pop music, Spongebob Squarepants, and Pokemon. The real kicker is that these are things I've been made fun of for in the past, but I could probably be made fun of for liking ANYTHING. Zelda. Mean Girls. Glee. Jonas Brothers (I've gotta support my diabetic brethren).

It's why I'm careful about how I criticize Twilight. Some people like it and that's okay. I'm not crazy about it, but that doesn't mean EVERYONE has to dislike it. What I don't like is the girls who get obsessed about it, viewing the relationship as something they have to have, but that's for a different post.

I mean really, though, what is this, Junior High? Everyone who wears Abercrombie and Fitch is a prep, everyone who likes Simple Plan is a punk or a poser? So someone likes something you don't, why do you have to go and make them feel shitty about it? Someone's different than you: GO PICK ON THEM. Fantastic.

Newsflash: 1950's are over. We can have differently colored houses and everything now!


Sure people do this in jest, but it doesn't hide the fact that I'm different and now I'm paying the price. I like Battlestar Galactica and yes, dammit, I was pissed at the ending. I get it Losties. I didn't like Lost, but you did and that's okay. We can mope about our series' mutual shitty endings together.

And if all you watch on TV is Keeping up with the Kardashians then that's okay because I can understand enjoying laughing at rich people! THEY'RE FUNNY. Maybe you just like Soap Operas. THAT'S OKAY TOO. Drama is entertaining.

Something everybody should have learned in kindergarten: some people are different than you, and there's nothing you can do about it. Instead of making everyone feel shitty for it, let's just grab a beer and enjoy each other's diverse company.

Okay, probably didn't grab beers in kindergarten. Change that to juice box.

1 comment:

  1. You don't drink beer anyway. :(

    You're almost giving me a challenge unintentionally you do realize that right?

    ReplyDelete